Generally available on August 16, 2019 @ 8pm EDT from Tallow + Steel.
Introducing the highly anticipated sequel to our most popular 2018 scent, Kyoto.
Nestled in the Pacific Ocean, on the southern tip of Japan there exists a true hidden gem; an Island renowned for its montane temperate rainforest, lush with ancient cedar trees: Yakushima.
Yakushima Island exhibits a rich biodiversity, including a primeval forest composed of old growth Japanese cedar trees known as yakusugi (屋久杉), which are over 1,000 years old – the oldest dating back to the Jōmon period 2300 years ago. The buried remains of these trees, which stay free of decay even after hundreds of years, are distilled – creating the rarest cedarwood essential oil in the world. This essential oil was the foundation in creating Yakushima.
Yakushima’s scent is composed of five natural oils, hand-delivered to us from Japan:
- 63% Yuzu – an exotic Japanese fruit hailed for its uniquely bright, aromatic, sweetness. Yaukushima uses a blend of three different yuzu oils: two steam distilled essential oils, and one solvent extracted absolute.
- 13% Yakusugi (Yakushima Cedarwood) – distilled from the buried remains of thousand- year-old yakusugi trees.
- 11% Kuromoji (Spice Bush) - distilled from the aromatic leaves of this traditional Japanese shrub which grows wild throughout the country.
- 9% Sansho (Japanese Pepper Leaf) - a fragrant sweet/floral oil distilled from leaves of the Japanese pepper tree.
- 4% Koyamaki (Japanese Umbrella Pine) - a rare conifer endemic to Japan.
Due to the very high cost of these ingredients, to offer Yakushima at a reasonable price, the shave soap is 3 oz / 85 g and the aftershave is 3 fl oz / 88 mL.
Vibrant fresh citrus with a lustrous aged wood drydown make Yakushima a very nature-inspired blend, in similar style to one of our originals, Rainforest.